Are You Working IN Your Career or ON it?
One of the things that I do not think I have done very well as a business owner is to work ON my business versus IN it.
I think there are a few reasons for that:
- I loved working in my business-being in the weeds
- I was good at being in my business. I have awards to prove it!
- Though I had more than one sales coach, I never had a business-building coach
- Working ON my business pushes against my comfort zone
- I had other priorities-some real, like family, and some were just excuses
Your Career is Your Business
You can be really good at working IN your career but if you do not feel like you have the career trajectory that you would like to have it may be because you have not been working ON your career.
When you work IN your career it can keep you from moving your life dreams forward. By working ON your career you are making the likelihood of your goals and dreams come true.
Maybe you are doing some of the same things in your career that I did in my business:
- Not getting the right coach
- Staying in the weeds because it is fun there because you are good at it
- Getting out of your comfort zone is not your favorite thing to do
- Your career has not always been the priority
What Would a Business Coach Do?
If you were to ask a business coach what you needed to do in order to work ON your business instead of IN it here is a list of possible suggestions you might receive:
- Delegate all inessential activities
- Hire a coach to hold your vision with you
- Begin to look for growth opportunities
- Find solutions, solve problems
- Open up to change
- Be innovative
- Make sure your finances are in order
- Focus on what you love
- Be authentic
- Get additional training
- Bring in experts in areas you need help with
- Plan for what’s next
Time to Work ON Your Career
These same suggestions can translate to your career. By doing one thing that is not part of your day-to-day you can shift your career trajectory and make your dreams a reality.
Career Change Tip of the Week -
Do one thing this week that moves your career forward. Delegate a task, hire a coach, get your finances in order, set up job alerts for your future career, sign up for a class.
Work ON Your Career, Not Just IN It
Post what you did here and use the #WorkingON.
Ready to work ON your career-I can help. Call me at 630/260-7821 or email me at LaurieSwansonLifeCoach@gmail.com.
Sound Song Advice
Dave Matthews Band